Best Easy Creamy Healthy Chicken and Dumplings Recipe are basically a creamy chicken and some fried biscuit flour balls with vegetable soup. It’s comfort food and keto with a gluten-free recipe that best for meal prep.
|Chicken and Dumplings
What ingredients do you need for easy chicken and dumplings recipe?
Salt and pepper for taste
Some butter or olive oil
Milk or buttermilk
Some flour. That’s it!
|Creamy Chicken and Dumplings
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS:
What do you serve as side veggies with chicken and dumplings?
This chicken and dumplings recipe is best for dinner or lunch meal. For the simple tasty soup, you can add some lighter side to go along with it such as –
– green broccoli
– fruits salad
– Side salad
– celery or cauliflower
– Some biscuits (you can try Fig Crackers biscuits)
|Easy Chicken Dumplings
(Image: my recipes)
Healthy Easy Homemade Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Category: Main Dish
Author: Priyanka Dutta
For the soup:
3 ½ cups chicken broth
2 tbsp butter or 2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt or as per taste
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried basil
½ tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp thyme dried (optional)
2 pounds uncooked boneless chicken breast or 2 cups roasted chicken shredded (frozen is okay)
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups milk, warmed (optional)
1 large onion chopped
1 large carrot chopped
1 stalk celery chopped
1/2 cup peas frozen
For the dumplings:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg beaten (optional)
1 Tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp melted butter
1 cup milk or buttermilk
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp chives chopped (optional)
|Ingredients for Chicken and Dumplings Recipe (Image: thenovicechefblog)|
- Bring a large pan or pot in an oven and add some butter or olive oil to it over medium-high heat.
- You can add the chopped onion, carrot, and celery to the pot or pan and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes until the onion softens and turns light brown. Add thyme to the pot and the 4 cups of chicken broth or chicken stock.
- Add broth, butter, poultry seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, parsley, basil in the pan. Add salt and pepper as per your taste. Combine all of these very well. [ Tips: Add 2 or 3 bay leaves for more nice flavor.]
- In a bowl take 1 cup of flour into the warm milk and whisk well so that it should be smooth, with no lumps. Or if you don’t want to add milk, add the flour with the sleeve of the broth from the pot and mix well, and put these back on the pot and stir.
- Throw the frozen peas and shredded chicken, mix. For seasoning salt and pepper add in it and cook for 5 minutes.
- When the broth soup is cooking, let’s make dumplings, combine flour, baking powder, salt, melted butter, and 1 cup milk in a mixing bowl. Keep in mind that not to over mix otherwise it will be turned out too solid or frequent.
- Drop dumplings using a spoon at a time into the pot or use a small cookie scooper to put the flour mixture batter in it. You have to remember that do not add too much batter of dumplings at once because the dumplings will double in size when cooked, so make them as large or small as you like. Cook it for few minutes until the dumplings are well cooked.
- Remove the chicken soup and dumplings from the oven and let some chicken soup and dumplings in a bowl and enjoy the day!
|Homemade Chicken Dumplings (Image: thenovicechefblog)|
Nutrition Information (Amount Per Serving):
|Classic Chicken and Dumplings
More try these Snacks recipes:
Creamy Chicken and Dumplings in Pressure Cooker:
|Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
Looking For More Recipes? Try These:
Honey BBQ Chicken
Lemon Pepper Asparagus
What type of canned biscuits are best when making Chicken and Dumplings?
In my opinion, refrigerated buttermilk biscuits best for this recipe soup as a side dish. Southern homemade biscuits also work really well. So you can choose any brand or any kind of biscuits that should work well.
Easy Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings with Biscuits:
|Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings
(Image: Sweet Pea’s Kitchen)
Looking for Meal Prep recipes?
27 Instant Pot Recipes
Chicken Broccoli Casserole
Mexican Vegetable Tacos
19 Meal Prep Recipes
16 Healthy Salad Recipes
Can you add vegetables to chicken and dumplings?
Vegetables are always good for health, so if you love to add veggies go ahead. Especially I love to add veggies in the southern Chicken and dumplings soup recipe. I like to add carrots, peas, onion to my soups. Whatever you want you can add any vegetables.
Q. What sides go with chicken and dumplings?
A. You can add any veggies or these ingredients will help you to make that recipe delicious and healthy for as sides-
Stuffed bell peppers.
Steamed vegetables like peas, cabbage, broccoli, etc
Any kind of veggie or fruit Salad.
Q. What can I serve with dumplings?
A. You can serve any recipes with these chicken dumplings
Jeera Rice or Mint Rice
Vegetable Manchurian with gravy
Roasted Shrimp with Honey
Seafood Paella Recipe
Spinach Parmesan Orzo
Q. How do you tell if dumplings are done?